- What information does Epocrates collect?
- How does Epocrates use the information we collect?
- How does Epocrates protect your information?
- Will Epocrates share the information it collects with others?
- What access does Epocrates give you to your personal information?
- How are "tracking technologies" used on our Site?
- Is this privacy statement subject to change?
- How to send us your feedback
TRUSTe Privacy Statement
Epocrates, Inc. has received TRUSTe's Privacy Seal signifying that this privacy statement and our practices have been reviewed for compliance with the TRUSTe program viewable on the validation page available by clicking the TRUSTe seal. The TRUSTe program covers only information that is collected through this Web site, www.epocrates.com and through our mobile application.
1. What information does Epocrates collect?
Information you provide us.
- When a medical professional sets up or edits their Provider Directory profile, we ask for his or her name, gender, office contact information, place of residency, year residency completed, practice specialty areas, practice type, place of employment, hospital affiliations, whether he or she is accepting new patients, insurance accepted, languages spoken and clinical interests.
- When you order, we ask you for your name, email address, postal addresses, telephone number, and credit card information so that we can complete the transaction.
- When you register for a mobile application, we ask for information including your name, email address, date of birth, postal code, profession, specialty, medical school and year of graduation.
- When you use our mobile application to find medical professionals near you, we collect your precise geo-location data.
- We may ask you for other types of information like demographics information, for example, when you participate in a survey or product test or when you enter a contest or other promotional event.
- We may ask for a list of "contacts" and their contact information to enable you to send and receive messages to those contacts through the Services. The information collected is only used for the purpose for which it was collected.
Information we may automatically collect.
When you visit our websites, some information is automatically collected and stored in log files. For example, when you visit our websites your computer's operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type and language, and the website you visited before our site are logged automatically. We also collect information about your usage and activity on our Sites
We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you, to improve marketing, analytics, or site functionality
For more information about this practice please refer to "How are 'cookies' and 'web beacons' used on our website?"
Additionally, when you use our mobile applications, we may automatically collect data about your device such as your device ID, type of device you use, operating system version and how you use our application including pages you view.
Information we receive from third parties.
We may also collect additional information about you from third parties, including the AMA to assist us in providing you with services. For example, if you are a physician, we compare the name, medical school and graduation information you provide with the AMA database to help verify the accuracy of our subscriber database.
2. How does Epocrates use the information we collect?
We use personal information collected through our Services for purposes described in this policy or disclosed to you in our Services. For example, we may use your information to:
- operate and improve our Services;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- provide and deliver products and services you request;
- send you related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- better understand you so that we may tailor messaging and services based on your interests, preferences, needs and specialties;
- communicate with you via email, mobile alerts and other messaging services about commercial, non-commercial, sponsored and non-sponsored clinical information, FDA and product safety alerts, new drugs and pharmaceutical studies; by accepting the terms of this policy, you are opting in to receiving these communications from Epocrates;
- send you information via email about products and services offered by Epocrates and our selected partners; by accepting the terms of this policy, you are opting in to receiving these emails from Epocrates (if you do not wish to receive these kinds of emails, you may choose to opt out by updating your profile. See " What access does Epocrates give you to your personal information? ");
- send you invitations, by email or other means, to market research survey opportunities through the Epocrates Honors program; by accepting the terms of this policy, you are opting in to receiving these invitations from Epocrates (if you do not wish to receive these invitations, you may choose to opt out by updating your profile. See " What access does Epocrates give you to your personal information? ");
- send you invitations, by email or other means, from other Epocrates members to connect and/or communicate through our Services; by accepting the terms of this policy, you are opting in to receiving these invitations (if you do not wish to receive these invitations, you may choose to opt out by updating your profile. See " What access does Epocrates give you to your personal information? ");
- link or combine your information with other personal information we collect through our Services, including the Epocrates Honors program, or get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better service
Epocrates may store and process information in the United States and other countries. We will retain your information (including geo-location data) for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
3. How does Epocrates protect your information?
We take appropriate measures to protect the information that we receive about you from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. When we collect sensitive information (such as a credit card number or geolocation), we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
No method of transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure; as a result, we cannot guarantee absolute security. If you have any questions about security, you can contact us at email@example.com.
4. Will Epocrates share the information it collects with others?
Epocrates may share aggregated or deidentified information such as statistics about our customers, sales, product usage or traffic patterns, and related website information. This information will not include any information directly identifying you. We display profile information we collect about or from medical professionals to anyone who uses our Provider Directory. If are a medical professional and you wish to request removal of your information from our Provider Directory, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you use our mobile application, we may share your geo-location data with a third-party service provider for the purpose of enhancing your searching ability. If you do not wish to allow us to share your information in this manner please opt-out by editing the setting at the device level.
If you post a comment or message in our blog or other public forums, it will be shared publicly. You can request the removal of your personal information from our blog or public forums, by contacting us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. When you communicate with other users through the athenaText application, your name and public profile will be shared with those users.
We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- with your consent, for example, when you agree to our sharing your information with other third parties for their own purposes subject to their separate privacy policies;
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers with whom we contract to help us provide our Services. For example, we may work with companies to host and maintain our data and website properties, analyze our data, provide marketing assistance, or a mapping service provider to find medical professionals near you. All contracted third parties must agree not to use your personal information other than to fulfill their responsibilities to us;
- with accrediting bodies, such as the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the American Nurses Credentialing Center, and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, and other accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) and Continuing Education (CE) providers who certify CME and CE activities, to process CME or CE activities you may choose to take through our Service;
- to provide our commercial clients, such as pharmaceutical companies, with your identifiable information when you engage with such clients' promotional content through our Service and information about the type of engagement (e.g., whether you viewed, interacted with or requested information about such promotional content). We will not provide clients with your personal contact information such as email or postal address. We will only share your identifiable information with clients who have agreed to use such information solely for their internal purposes;
- in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition or bankruptcy transaction or proceeding involving sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company, we will post a notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information
5. What access does Epocrates give you to your personal information?
You may amend any inaccuracies or update your Epocrates profile, including your personal information and email preferences, at any time.
You have the option of correcting, updating, deleting and/or changing contact and demographic information and other information previously provided and stored in our database. If you wish to correct, update, delete or change your information, simply update your profile. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days.
You may opt out of any promotional emails at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the promotional emails you receive from us, by updating your profile as described below or by sending an email to email@example.com.
You may opt out of the Epocrates Honors market research program at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions in the invitation emails you receive from us, by updating your profile as described below or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may opt-out of location-based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level.
We may occasionally send you push notifications through our mobile applications to send you service related notices that may be of importance to you. You may at any time opt-out from receiving these types of communications by turning them off at the device level through your settings.
How to update your profile: Please visit the home page of our website at www.epocrates.com, click on "Login", and then sign in using your email address and password. Then under the "Account" heading click on "Edit Email Preferences". To opt in or out of email communications, go to the bottom of the form and make the selection of your choices. If you unselect a box, you will NOT receive emails of the type listed. You may also request profile changes by sending an email to email@example.com. If you have already claimed your Provider Directory profile, you can make changes to your contact and professional information via the Provider Directory tile on your mobile installation of the Epocrates application.
6. How are "tracking technologies" used on our Site?
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts are used by Epocrates and our marketing partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users' movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our Mobile Software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from.
We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML 5 to store user preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site and mobile application or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here. Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
7. Is this privacy statement subject to change?
8. How to send us your feedback
Our goal is to respect your privacy and we encourage user feedback to help us improve our privacy policies. If you have any questions or suggestions about this privacy statement, please contact us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco, CA 94105